Friday, June 29, 2012

Encounters with Filipina OFWs in the Middle East (Part 1)

It happened twice at the end of December last year, in two airports in the middle east - first in Dubai (United Arab Emirates) and second in Doha (Qatar). I was flying back to Washington DC.

My flight from Dubai to Doha was leaving late in the afternoon. In a queue to get my boarding pass, the young lady behind me makes a deliberate eye contact and a nice smile. She is hauling a huge luggage and her hands are full of pasalubong (probably late Christmas gifts to family at home). I was sure she is Filipina, and was also sure she's eager to chat. (We, Filipinos, can spot a kabayan (compatriot) easily and, like it or not, once introduced to each other, the assumption of familiarity and friendship is a given). She called me kuya (older brother) right away. She seems genuinely delighted to have met a familiar face in a foreign land. She was bubbly at first, but just a few minutes into our conversation her eyes began to well up.

She was driven to the airport by a member of an Emirati family who employed her as a domestic helper. She was given about an hour to pack her luggage; her passport, airline tickets and other travel documents were only 'released' to her when they arrived at the airport. She didn't have anything to eat that day. She wasn't paid her last salary, and probably would have waited for the food served in the plane rather than spend whatever money she had. But that food is at least 2 hours away.


I was hungry myself, so I invited her for a light meal. I also gave her a couple of twenty american dollars in case she needs money to buy food at the next airport (she has many hours of layover in Doha before her last flight to Manila). I pretty much know the story at this point - having read enough horror stories of OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) from the Philippines - or so, I thought. Reality does hit you when the victim herself tells you the story in her own words. It is because of her that I am starting this blog. I don't want to forget her story and how I felt listening to them.

She worked as a hair stylist in a salon in Doha a few years ago, but her contract was not renewed and had to return to the Philippines. She was able to save money for her own young family in Manila - but the money didn't last long and, encouraged by her pleasant experience in Doha, she didn't hesitate to find work again in the middle east and leave her young daughter and husband for the second time. This time, however, she ran into an unscrupulous recruiting agency in Manila.... (to be continued..see part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment